Wetherby in 1843
Wetherby is a market-town in the West Riding, and wapentake of Claro, 190 miles north-north-west from London, and 15 miles west by south from York. The town is well built, and pleasantly situated on the north bank of the river Wharfe, over which there is a handsome stone bridge. A little above the bridge a stone dam has been constructed, over which the river forms a pretty cascade. By means of the dam several mills are worked, which grind corn, press oil-seeds, and rasp logwood for dyers. The church is a chapel-of-ease to Spofforth, and the living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Craven and diocese of Ripon, in the gift of the rector of Spofforth, of the net annual value of £100. The Wesleyan Methodists and Independents have places of worship. The population in 1841 was 1,433, in 1831 it was 1,321.