Stokesley in 1843
Stokesley is a parish and market-town in the western division of Langbaurgh liberty, in the North Riding of Yorkshire, about 238 miles from London, and about 41 miles north of York. It is in the fertile district of Cleveland, and the town is washed on the south by a remarkably fine trout stream, a branch of the river Leven. At a distance of from four to six miles, the Cleveland hills, including the mountain called Roseberry Topping, rise in the form of a semicircular amphitheatre, of which Stokesley is the centre.
The parish comprises the townships of Stokesley, Great and Little Busby, Easby, and Newby, and had an aggregate population of 2,376 in 1831, and 2,734 in 1841, including the non-residents mentioned below.
The living is a rectory, with the curacy of Westerdale, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland and diocese of York, and in the patronage of the archbishop of York, with a gross income of £1,352. Besides the parish church, there are places of worship for Independents and Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists. Among the schools are national schools for both sexes, partly supported by endowment.
The town consists chiefly of one street, with many well-built houses, and it has an annual court-leet and weekly petty sessions. It has a considerable manufacture of linens, a good market on Saturday, and fairs on the Saturdays before Palm Sunday, Trinity Sunday, and Old Lammas-day. Stokesley is a polling-place for the North Riding, and the township had a population of 1967 in 1831, and 2,310 in 1841, including the hamlet of Tanton, 16 persons in the Union workhouse, 34 in barns, and 270 visitors at the annual fair.