Snaith in 1843
Snaith is in the West Riding of Yorkshire, in the wapentake of Osgoldcross, 174 miles from London, and 23 miles south by east from York, is a very small market-town on the southern bank of the river Aire, five miles from its confluence with the Ouse.
The town is an unimportant place ; the population was 834 in 1821, 855 in 1831, and 855 in 1841. The church is in the later style of English architecture, with a low, square, pinnacled tower. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, of the annual value of £479. The Wesleyan Methodists have a chapel here, with a Sunday-school attached, which in 1833 was attended by 171 children. There is a national school, partly supported by a small endowment, the date of which is unknown ; also almshouses for six poor persons, founded by the Yarburgh family, and others for six widows, rebuilt in 1802 by Lord Downes, who has a seat in the parish.
The parish of Snaith is very extensive, and extends into the wapentake of Barkston-Ash. It comprises the chapelry of Armin (a perpetual curacy, net value £74), with a population of 593 in 1841: the chapelry of Hook (a perpetual curacy, net value £59), population 1,221 ; the chapelry of Rawcliffe (a perpetual curacy, net value £120), population 1,523 ; and the townships of Balne, Cowick, Goole, Gowdall, Hook, Hensall, Pollington, and Snaith. The entire area of the parish is 34,810 acres. The population in 1821 was 5,909, 8,530 in 1831, and 10,444 in 1841. Goole has been separately noticed.