Settle in 1843
Settle is a small market-town in the West Riding of Yorkshire, in the wapentake of Staincliff and Ewcross, and parish of Giggleswick, 235 miles north-west by north from London, and 56 miles west-north-west from York. The town is situated in a mountainous district on the east side of the river Ribble, at the foot of a limestone rock upwards of 200 feet high called the Castleberg.
The parish church is at Giggleswick, on the opposite side of the river, over which there is a stone bridge. The prison is below the market-cross ; the entrance to it is by a trap-door down a flight of steps, and light is admitted by a grating. There is a Union workhouse at Settle, which in 1841 contained 127 persons. Cotton manufactures are carried on to some extent and ropes and paper are made.
There are chapels belonging to the Wesleyan Methodists and the Independents. In 1833 there were five day-schools, one day and Sunday national school, and two Sunday-schools. The population in 1831 was 1,627 ; in 1841 it was 2,041. The land in the neighbourhood, which is chiefly used for grazing, is exceedingly rich. East of the town are two rocking-stones of vast weight, which when set in motion and a noise like distant thunder.