Sedbergh in 1843
Sedbergh is a small market-town in the West Riding of Yorkshire, in the west division of the wapentake of Staincliff and Ewcross, 256 miles north-west from London, and 78 miles west-north-west from York. The town is situated in a sheltered and fertile vale among rugged mountains.
The living of the parish church is a vicarage, formerly in the diocese of Chester, but now in the archdeaconry of Richmond and diocese of Ripon, in the gift of Trinity College, Cambridge, and of the net annual value of £184. There are places of worship belonging to the Methodists, Quakers, and Independents.
In 1833 there were nine daily schools at Sedbergh, one of which is a free grammar-school, and then had 40 scholars. The school was founded by Dr. Roger Lupton, provost of Eton, in the reign of Edward VI. After some time the funds were misapplied, but were restored to their proper use by the exertions of Sir Anthony Denny, who also rebuilt the school. The endowment amounts to about £500 a year, paid to the head master, but out of which he pays £100 a year to the second master, besides other expenses. The head master is appointed by the master and fellows of St. John's College, Cambridge. Two fellowships and eight scholarships in St. John's College were established by Lupton for students from this school.
There are manufactures of cotton and iron. Coals sufficient for the supply of the town are obtained from a mine about two miles distant. The population of Sedbergh, in 1831, was 2,214 ; in 1841 it was 2,268, but the return includes the hamlets of Howgill, Bland, Marthwaite, Soobank, Frasbrow, Cautley, and Dowbiggin, besides 30 persons in the workhouse.