Saddleworth in 1843
Saddleworth is a village in the West Riding of Yorkshire, in the wapentake of Agbrigg and parish of Rochdale, 188 miles north-west from London and 54 miles south-west from York. The village is chiefly remarkable as giving name to a district in which the woollen and cotton manufactures have advanced with amazing rapidity and to a very great extent. The district is 7 miles long and 3 miles in its greatest width, and includes about 100 manufacturing hamlets. It is called Saddleworth-with-Quick. The population in 1811 was 12,579 ; in 1821 it was 13,902, in 1831 it was 15,986, in 1841 it was 16,829 ; at which time there were 555 houses uninhabited, owing to the depressed state of the manufactures.