Ripley in 1843
Ripley is a small market-town in the West Riding of Yorkshire, in the wapentake of Claro and parish of Ripley, 208 miles from London and 25 west-north-west from York. The town is situated on the north side of the river Nidd. The church is ancient, and contains some curious old monuments of the Ingilby family. The living is a rectory, formerly in the diocese of Chester, but now in the archdeaconry of Richmond and diocese of Ripon, in the gift of the Ingilby family, and of the net annual value of £666.
The chief distinction of the place is the castle of the family of Ingilby, which was built in 1555, and is still the family residence. There is a free-school, which in 1833 contained 40 males, which was built and endowed in 1702, by the two youngest daughters of Sir William Ingilby. The population of the township in 1831 was 270 : the separate population of the township is not given in the Population Returns for 1841.