Patrington in 1843
Patrington is a parish and market-town in the southern division of the wapentake of Holderness, in the East Riding of Yorkshire, about 188 miles from London, 57 miles south-east of York, and 18 miles east by south from Hull, in the promontory of Holderness.
The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of the East Riding and the diocese of York, with a gross income of £660. It has a beautiful cruciform Gothic church, with a lofty spire, places of worship for Independents, and Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists, several schools, and a Union workhouse for the Patrington Union, which comprehends 27 parishes.
A navigable creek, which communicates with the Humber, brings vessels within a short distance of the town, which exports considerable quantities of corn, and receives lime and coal from the West Riding. The market is on Saturday, and there are fairs on March 28, July 18, and December 6. The town contains a branch of the Yorkshire District Bank.
It is a place of considerable antiquity, and is supposed by some writers to be the Praetorium of the ancient geographers, an opinion somewhat strengthened by the discovery, about eighty years since, of part of a Roman altar. Other writers derive the name of the town from St. Patrick, to whom the church is dedicated. The population of the parish was 1,298 in 1831, and 1,402, including 72 inmates of the Union workhouse and 16 persons in barges, in 1841.