Pateley Bridge in 1843
Pateley Bridge is a market-town in the West Riding of Yorkshire, in the liberty of Ripon and parish of Ripon, 212 miles from London, and 34 miles west-north-west from York. This town, which is situated on the north bank of the river Nidd, appears to be in a state of rapid improvement. According to Baines's 'Religious State of the Manufacturing Districts,' 1843, there are in the township seven episcopal churches and eighteen chapels belonging to different classes of dissenters, in all twenty-five places of public worship, with sittings for 5,700 persons : there are four infant schools, 12 private schools, three factory schools, and seven public day-schools, in all twenty-six day-schools, with 638 scholars ; besides which there were three Sunday-schools supported by the established church, and fifteen supported by different classes of dissenters, in all eighteen Sunday-schools, with 1,060 scholars. The present population, according to Baines, is 7,996. There are several lead-mines in the neighbourhood, from which the prosperity of the town seems to be chiefly derived.