Old Malton in 1843
Old Malton stands about a mile north-east of New Malton, on the same side of the river, and it has a very ancient church, dedicated to St. Mary, adjoining to which are the remains of a priory, founded in 1150, for Gilbertine canons, the revenues of which amounted, at the dissolution, to £275, 7 shillings. A free grammar-school was founded here in 1547, by Robert Holgate, archbishop of York, with an endowment which now produces about £100 per annum. The town contains a Wesleyan chapel and some daily schools. It is observed in the Report of the Boundary Commissioners, that the presumption of some closer connection than that of mere vicinage having existed, in remote times, between Old and New Malton, is strengthened both be the Report of a Committee of the House of Commons in 1658, deciding that Old Malton had a joint right with New Malton in the election of members of parliament, and by the admission of rights of common in the inhabitants of New Malton, over certain commons and wastes belonging to Old Malton. This village is noted for its lime-quarries.
Malton is supposed to have been one of the oldest Brigantian fortified towns in this part of Britain : and its importance as a Roman military station is indicated by the number of ancient roads pointing to it, which appear to have been six. The Romans, changing only the termination of its British name, called it Camulodunum, which the Saxons abbreviated to Meldun. The advantages of the place as a military position were, in ancient times, increased by the intervention of a considerable tract of impassable marsh between the river Derwent and the Wolds. Numerous Roman coins, urns, and other remains have been found here, and entrenchments are yet visible on the opposite side of the river. In the Saxon times Malton became a royal villa to King Edwin ; and after the Norman conquest the baronial family of Vesey, or De Vesci, built a castle here, as well as the priory mentioned above. This castle was demolished by Henry II, but while it stood the town was burnt down by Archbishop Thurstan, who besieged it for the purpose of dislodging a party of Scots who had obtained possession and garrisoned the castle. The town was rebuilt in the reign of Stephen, and then received the name of New Malton. A noble castellated mansion was erected on the site of the ancient castle, about the close of the sixteenth century, by Ralph, Lord Eure ; but in 1674, as his grand-daughters could not agree concerning the property, the greater part of the mansion was pulled down by the high sheriff, under an order of court, divided the materials between the contending parties, leaving only the lodge and gateway standing as a monument of their folly. About a quarter of a mile south-west of New Malton is a mineral spring, said to be similar to those of Scarborough, and to be an efficacious chalybeate.