Middlesborough, or Middlesburgh in 1843
Middlesborough is a parish and township, partly in the liberty of St. Peter of York, but chiefly in the western division of Langbaurgh liberty, in the North Riding of Yorkshire, situated on the southern shore of the Tees, close to its mouth, and which has risen to considerable importance in consequence of the formation of a branch or extension of the Stockton and Darlington Railway for shipping coals here, so as to avoid the river navigation. Middlesborough lies about 5 miles east by north of Stockton, and formerly had a chapel dedicated to St. Hilda, which was long in ruins, but of which no remains now exist, though the site is still used as a burying-ground.
The parish of Middlesborough contains the township of that name and the township of Linthorp, and had a gross population of 236 in 1821, 383 in 1831, when the effect of the railway was only beginning to be felt, and 5,709 in 1841, including 40 persons in barges and tents, but exclusive of 103 persons absent from home, and 50 who had emigrated to America in that year. The township of Middlesborough alone contained only 40 persons in 1821, 154 in 1831, and 5,463 in 1841 ; and it has risen, within a very few years, from the rank of an insignificant village to that of a considerable sea-port town, with several foundries, a pottery , and other manufactories.
The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland and diocese of York, the gross income of which, in 1831, was £35. The township contains Independent and Wesleyan Methodist chapels, and several schools.