Keighley in 1843
Keighley is a considerable market-town in the West Riding of Yorkshire, in the wapentake of Staincliff and Ewcross, and parish of Keighley, 206 miles north-north-west from London, and 39 miles west by south from York.
The town is situated in a deep valley, at the junction of two small streams which fall into the river Aire about three-quarters of a mile to the north-east, and about a quarter of a mile farther to the north-east is the Leeds and Liverpool Canal. The houses are mostly of stone, and in general tolerably well-built.
The parish church, which was rebuilt in 1805, is spacious and handsome, with an octagon tower containing eight fine-toned bells and a clock of beautiful workmanship by Prior of Nestfield ; the church has also a powerful organ. The living is a rectory, in the gift of the duke of Devonshire, and of the net annual value of £358. It is now in the deanery and archdeaconry of Craven, in the diocese of Ripon. There are three other episcopal churches. There are 14 places of worship belonging to different classes of dissenters.
Of the schools, which are numerous, one is a free grammar-school, founded in 1716 : a Mechanics' Institute was established about 1828. The worsted manufacture is the chief trade of the place, but cotton goods are also manufactured to some extent. The Keighley Union workhouse in 1841 contained 48 persons. The population of the town of Keighly in 1821 was 9,255 ; the population in 1841 was 13,378 ; in 1831 it was 11,176.