Harrowgate (Harrogate) in 1843
Harrowgate is in the West Riding of Yorkshire and wapentake of Claro, consists of two adjoining villages, High Harrowgate, in the parish of Knaresborough, and Low Harrowgate in the parish of Pannal. The distance from London is 204 miles, 2 and one half miles west by south from Knaresborough, and twenty miles west by north from York. Harrowgate has become popular within the last century in consequence of the reputation of its medicinal springs, and is now one of the principal watering-places of the north of England. St. John's Chapel, in High Harrowgate, was built by subscription in 1749. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the vicar of Knaresborough, and of the annual value of £96. It was formerly in the diocese of Chester, but is now in the deanery of Boroughbridge, archdeaconry of Richmond, and diocese of Ripon. St. Mary's church, in Low Harrowgate, is a neat Gothic structure, which was opened in 1824. The living is a perpetual-curacy, in the gift of the vicar of Pannal, and of the average annual value of £90. The Methodists, Independents, and other classes of dissenters have places of worship.
There is a theatre, and there are promenade-rooms, news-rooms, billiard-rooms, and ball-rooms. Hotels and lodgings are abundant, some of them in a superior style of elegance. The population of High Harrowgate, in 1841, was 3,372, including 72 persons in Harrowgate workhouse : the population in Low Harrowgate, including the hamlet of Beckwith and 60 persons in the Harrowgate Bath Hospital, was 1,413; total 4,785. The mineral springs are of different qualities, sulphurous, chalybeate, and saline-aperient. The sulphur well is in Low Harrowgate, and is at all times sufficiently abundant - not only for those on the spot, but to supply the demand for bottles of it, which is very considerable. The Crescent Well, in Low Harrowgate, is also a sulphur spring, but of somewhat weaker quality than the sulphur well. The Cheltenham Water, as it is called, is a saline-aperient spring. The Old Spa, the Tewit Well, and the New Chalybeate Well, are all chalybeate springs at High Harrowgate.