Goole in 1843
Goole, a township in the parish of Snaith, in the West Riding, wapentake of Osgoldcross, on the western bank of the river Ouse, at its junction with the Dutch River (the channel for the Don made by Vermueden), and 10 miles above the junction of the Ouse with the Trent.
The township comprises 3,020 acres, and in 1821 contained 71 inhabited houses and 450 persons ; 236 houses and 1,671 persons in 1831 ; and 413 inhabited houses and 2,850 persons in 1841, including 390 in barges and other vessels. This rapid increase is to be attributed in the first place to the opening of the canal from Goole to Ferrybridge, by which the manufactures of Leeds, Halifax, Wakefield, and other parts of the West Riding and of Lancashire are brought to Goole for shipment; and next, to the establishment of Goole as a bonding-port in 1828. Small steam-boats ply on the canal from Goole to Ferrybridge. Vessels arrive from Leeds in twelve hours, and from Manchester in fifty-five.
With these advantages and its favourable position, Goole promises in time to become a port; of considerable importance. It is perfectly safe for vessels drawing from 15 to 17 feet water. The ship-dock is 600 feet long and 20 feet wide, with 18 feet depth of water, and will contain 54 square-rigged ships, with quays at which 17 may load or unload at the same time. The dock for country vessels is 900 feet long by 150 feet wide, with 8 feet depth of water, and will contain 200 vessels averaging 50 or 60 tons each. The basin or entrance harbour is 250 feet long by 200 wide, with 9 feet depth of water. The custom house is a neat building.
There are warehouses for the bonding of goods and merchandize of every description ; the warehouse for the bonding of foreign grain contains 5,000 superficial yards of flooring ; and there are ponds for the reception of timber under bond capable of receiving upwards of 300 loads ; besides an extensive range of deal-yards. The gross duties received at the custom-house in 1839 amounted to £79,0001, and in 1840 to £54,694. The export of coal coastways in 1842 was 158,000 tons : a considerable part of the coal shipped is brought to London. The number of vessels from Goole arriving in the port of London has greatly increased within the last two years. The vessels belonging to Goole in 1842 were 203 under 50 tons, of the total burthen of 8,471 tons ; and 178 above 50 tons, of the total burthen of 15,610 tons : besides four steamers, averaging rather more than 50 tons. In 1841 the number of vessels which sailed coastways from the port was 2,855, total 157,719 tons ; and there entered the port 3,557 vessels, total 191,000 tons. In the same year 33
British and 21 foreign vessels, total 4,838 tons, entered Goole from foreign ports : and 38 British and 13 foreign, total 4,671 tons, sailed for foreign parts. Only two or three vessels entered from or sailed for the colonies. The Independents and Wesleyans have places of worship. In 1843 the erection of a new church was commenced. In 1833 there were eight daily schools, one of which enjoyed an endowment of £20 a year.