Gisburn in 1843
Gisburn, a small market-town in the West Riding of Yorkshire, in the wapentake of Staincliff and Ewcross, and parish of Gisburn, 224 miles from London and 56 miles west from York. The town is situated near the east bank of the river Ribble. The market is almost if not quite discontinued. There is no trade carried on. The church is supposed to have been built in the reign of Henry VII. The living is a vicarage in the gift of the crown, and of the net annual value of £161. The population, in 1831, was 607 ; in 1841 it was 543.