Giggleswick in 1843
Giggleswick is a handsome village, formerly a market-town, in the West Riding, wapentake of Staincliff and Ewcross, and parish of Giggleswick, is less than a mile north-west from Settle, on the west bank of the river Ribble.
The parish church is a large and handsome building, with accommodation for 1,000 persons : the living is a vicarage, of the net annual value of about £80, in the archdeaconry of Craven, and the new diocese of Ripon. Giggleswick has a grammar-school, founded by Edward VI, May 26, 1553, by letters patent. The present income is about £1,150. In 1833 there were 77 scholars, who vvere all educated gratuitously : scholars are admissible from all places. There are three masters, two for the classics and one for mathematics. There are six scholarships at Christ Church, Cambridge, for students from this school. Archdeacon Paley was educated here under his father, who was head master for nearly fifty years.
About a mile northwest from the village is a curious ebbing and flowing well. It is sometimes quite dry, and has been observed to rise about twenty inches in five minutes. The flux and reflux is very irregular, and the cause of the phenomenon is unknown, but has been conjectured to arise from a natural double siphon. The water is clear, cold, and wholesome.