Flamborough in 1843
Flamborough, though formerly a place of some importance, is now a mere fishing village, remarkable only from its proximity to the elevated cliffs and lighthouse of Flamborough Head. The village occupies the centre of the promontory so called, and is most generally supposed to derive its name from the practice in early times of mounting a flaming beacon on the cliffs. It was frequently used as a principal station by the Danes during their predatory inroads, and vestiges of Danish structures remain in the parish. The church is dedicated to St. Oswald,and the living, a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of the East Riding and the diocese of York, has a gross income of £81. The village contains Primitive and Wesleyan Methodist chapels, and several schools. The population of the parish, which is situated in the wapentake of Dickering, in the East Riding, was 975 in 1831, and 1,191 in 1841.