Easingwould in 1843
Easingwould is a market-town and parish in the wapentake of Bulmer, in the North Riding of Yorkshire, about 208 miles from London, 13 miles north by west of York, and 11 miles east by north of Boroughbridge. The parish comprises the chapelry of Raskelf, and is a discharged vicarage in the archdeaconry of Cleveland and diocese of York, with a gross income of £250, in the patronage of the bishop of Chester.
Easingwould contains places of worship for Roman Catholics, Independents, and Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists, as well as the parish church, which stands on an eminence above the town, and commands an extensive view over the ancient forest of Galtres and the vale of Mowbray.
There are several daily schools, two of which are endowed ; a workhouse for the Easingwould Union, which comprises 29 parishes ; and several branch banks.
It is a place of little importance, and the surrounding districts are not very fertile, but considerable quantities of bacon and butter are sent to York, and for warded thence to London and elsewhere. The market is on Friday, and there are fairs on the 5th or 6th of July and the 25th or 26th of September. Some chalybeate springs rise in the neighbourhood, one of which supplies a small bathing-house.
The want of water-communication has been a disadvantage to this town, but is now partially supplied by the Great North of England Railway, which runs near it.
The population of the township was 1,922 in 1831, and 2,171 in 1841, including 67 persons in the Union workhouse ; that of the whole parish, in the same years, 2,381 and 2,719 respectively.