Aberford in 1843
Aberford, a small town in the West Riding of Yorkshire, in the wapentake of Skyrack and parish of Aberford, 185 miles from London and 15 miles south-west from York. The town consists chiefly of a long street on the south side of the river Cock. The parish church has accommodation for about 600 persons. The living is a vicarage, in the deanery of the City and Ainsty, and the diocese of York, and in the gift of Oriel College, Oxford, and of the net annual value of £305. In 1833 there were three daily schools, one of which was a national school containing 90 children, partly supported by an endowment. of £10 a year given by Lady Elizabeth Hastings. The population of the township in 1831 was 644 ; in 1841 it was 782.