Tenbury in 1843
Tenbury, formerly called Temebury, a parish and small market-town in the upper division of the hundred of Doddingtree, 17 miles north-west of Worcester. It is situated on the southern bank of the river Teme, which separates Worcestershire from Shropshire, and is here crossed by a stone bridge of six arches. The Kyre, a small but rapid stream, which falls into the Teme at the upper end of Tenbury, often occasions inundations in the town : this river is also crossed by a handsome bridge. The surrounding country is rich and fertile, and the grass-lands, hopyards, and orchards are very productive. Mineral-springs have been discovered in the neighbourhood. The Leominster Canal passes near the town, and supplies it with cheap coal from the Clee Hills : this canal was intended to have passed from Herefordshire to Stourport, but the original design has never been completed. There is a considerable trade in hops, cider, and perry ; and the making of malt is carried on to some extent. The town consists chiefly of three streets, with an ancient corn-market, and a butter-cross of modern erection. The old church was carried away by a flood in 1770, and the present edifice was erected in 1777. The living is a vicarage. The market-day is Tuesday, and there are fairs in April, May, June, July, and September, for horned cattle, horses, and sheep. The entire parish comprises 5,450 acres, and in 1841 contained 1,849 inhabitants, namely, Tenbury parish, 1,177 ; Berrington hamlet, 207 ; Sutton hamlet, 186 ; and the hamlet of Tenbury Foreign (252), with Kyrewood (27). Tenbury is a polling-place for the county.