Shipston-on-Stour in 1843
Shipston-on-Stour is a market-town situated on the river Stour, in an outlying portion of the county, in Warwickshire, about 27 miles east-south-east from Worcester, direct distance. It was formerly a very large sheep-market, and Sheepston has become Shipston. The town has no trade of any consequence. The living is a rectory united with the rectory of Tidmington, in the gift of the dean and chapter of Worcester and Jesus College. Oxford, alternately, of the average net yearly value of £700. The church is dedicated to St. Edmund. The Baptists, Methodists, and Quakers have each a chapel. The population in 1831 was 1,632 ; in 1841 it was 1,846, including 103 persons in the Shipston-on-Stour Union workhouse.