Pershore in 1843
Pershore is a market-town, nine miles south-east from Worcester, on the west bank of the Avon, which is here navigable for boats. The town is well-built and well-paved. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the manufacture of stockings. The town consists of the parishes of St. Andrew and Holy-Cross, exclusive of their townships ; the population in 1831 was 2,536 ; in 1841 it was 2,813. St. Andrews is a small church, with a square tower containing six bells. The church of Holy Cross has a lofty square tower with eight bells, and there are some ancient monuments in the interior. The living of St. Andrew’s is a vicarage, to which are attached the curacies of Holy Cross, Besford, Defford, Bricklehampton, and Pinvin, in the gift of the dean and chapter of Westminster, and of the average net yearly, value of £200. There are ruins of a Benedictine abbey.