Steeple Ashton in 1843
Steeple-Ashton is in Whorwelsdown hundred, about three miles east of Trowbridge ; it was formerly a market town, and in Leland’s time was the seat of a considerable clothing manufacture. It has a lofty and elegant church, with nave, chancel, side aisles, north and south porches, two small chapels, and a large western tower. Both church and tower are surmounted by battlements and pinnacles. The tower has a fine western indoor, and was anciently surmounted by a stone spire, or, as Leland calls it, a ‘spired steeple,’ which gave to the village its distinguishing epithet of Steeple-Ashton. The spire was destroyed in two thunder-storms in July and October, 1670. A tessellated pavement, differing from the usual style and materials of Roman pavements, was dug up at Steeple-Ashton. The area of the parish is 7,450 acres : it is divided into five chapelries or tythings. The population of the tything of Steeple-Ashton, in 1831, was 848; of the whole parish, 1,854.