Ramsbury in 1843
Ramsbury is in Ramsbury hundred, 5 miles north-west from Hungerford. It was made the seat of the bishopric erected in the ninth or tenth century by the dismemberment of Wiltshire from the diocese of Sherborne ; the see was removed after an interval to Wilton, but at what period is doubtful ; and was afterwards reunited to Sherborne, the cathedral being fixed at Old Sarum, from which it was removed to Salisbury. The area of the whole parish, which is divided into three tythings, is 9,960 acres ; the population, in 1831, was 2,290, of which the town tything contained 1,538. The church is spacious, and consists of a nave and two aisles, chancel, and a massive western tower. Ramsbury manor and house belong to Sir Francis Burdett.