Hindon in 1843
Hindon is in the hundred of Downton, 97 miles from the General Post-Office, London, by the South Western Railway to Basingstoke, and thence by Andover and Amesbury ; and 15 from Salisbury, on the road to Ilchester and Chard. This borough sent members to parliament from the time of Henry VI until the Reform Act, by which it was disfranchised. The parish has an area of 270 acres, and contained, in 1831, 187 houses; namely, 184 inhabited, and 3 uninhabited, with a population of 184 families, 921 persons. The town consists of one principal street and three shorter ones, two of them crossing the main street at right angles. The church or chapel (for East Knoyle is the mother church) is in the main street, and is a plain building. There is a market on Thursday, but it is much declined from its former importance ; and there are two yearly fairs for horses, cattle, sheep, and poultry. The borough is not noticed in the Municipal Corporations Reform Act. The living is a donative, of the clear yearly value of £73, in the rural deanery of Chalke, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Salisbury. There were in the parish, in 1833, five day-schools, with from 172 to 176 scholars ; namely, 71 boys, 65 girls, and from 36 to 40 children of sex not stated in the returns, giving nearly one in five of the population under daily instruction. Two of these schools, with 71 boys and 65 girls, were supported by Lord Calthorpe ; and were also Sunday schools, attended on Sundays by 71 boys and 83 girls, giving 154 children, or one in six of the population under instruction on Sundays.