Bromham in 1843
Bromham or Bremham is in the hundred of Potterne and Cannings, four miles north-west from Devizes. It is near the supposed site of the Roman station Verlucio, and some Roman antiquities, consisting of a bath and portions of a tessellated pavement, were found here about eighty years since. The church is large and ancient ; it has a chapel richly carved, and containing some ancient banners and armour, and several monuments of the Baynton family. Collinson, author of the history of Somersetshire, was a native of Bromham. The area of the parish is 3,300 acres ; the population, in 1831, was 1,556, two-fifths agricultural : 62 men were employed in the woollen cloth manufacture.