Box in 1843
Box is in the hundred of Chippenham, about five miles east of Bath, in a beautiful valley watered by a small feeder of the Avon, sometimes called the Box brook. There are considerable quarries near Box, of the freestone usually called Bath stone, and there are two mineral springs. The area of the parish is 4,130 acres : the population, in 1831, was 1,550, of whom 60 men were employed in stone quarries or on the roads. The Great Western railway passes near Box, and the longest tunnel on the line is near this place.