Milnthorpe in 1843
Millthorpe, Milthorpe, or Milnthorpe, is in Heversham parish, in Kendal ward, 256½ miles from the General Post-office, London, by railway to Lancaster; 15½ miles north of Lancaster, and about 8 south of Kendal. Heversham parish has an area of 19,350 acres, and had in 1831 a population of 4,162 : the township of Millthorpe with Heversham has an area of 2,590 acres ; there were in 1831, in the township 298 houses, namely, 280 inhabited and 18 uninhabited ; with a population of 288 families, or 1,509 persons : about a third of the population was agricultural. The town stands on the north bank of the river Beelo. and consists chiefly of one long street running from east to west, nearly parallel to the river, over which, at the lower end of the town, is a bridge of one arch. The houses are many of them neat, some of them handsome.
The church of Heversham is about a mile north of the town ; it was rebuilt after a fire in 1601 : there are an episcopal church or chapel, and an Independent meeting-house in the town. Millthorpe is a member of the port of Lancaster : small vessels by the help of the tide get up the river to the town. There are some manufactures of worsted and woollens : these branches of industry, in 1831, employed 38 men in the township and 45 on other parts of the parish. There are (or were a few years since) flax and paper mills. The market is on Friday, and there are two yearly fairs for cattle.
The living of Heversham is a vicarage, of the clear yearly value of £516, with a glebe-house, in the rural deanery of Kendal, in the archdeaconry of Richmond, in the diocese of Chester : the perpetual curacy of the chapel at Millthorpe is in the gift of trustees ; its value was not returned.
There were in the whole parish, in 1833, twenty-three day-schools of all kinds, with about 800 scholars, namely, 409 boys and 314 girls, and 77 children of sex not distinguished in the returns ; giving nearly one in five of the population under daily instruction. There were two Sunday-schools, and three of the day-schools were Sunday-schools also : the whole contained 380 scholars, namely, 183 boys, 142 girls, and 55 children of sex not stated ; giving one in eleven of the population under instruction on Sundays.