Dunchurch in 1843
Dunchurch is in the Rugby division of Knightlow hundred, 11 miles south-east of Coventry. The parish has an area of 5,010 acres, and comprehends the hamlets of Toft and Thurlaston : the population, in 1831, was 1,029 ; about half agricultural. Dunchurch village is on the south-eastern brow of the high waste land of Dunsmore Heath. The church is on the east side of the village, in a commanding situation, and is a handsome and curious building. The chancel is early English, with some good decorated windows inserted, particularly the east window ; this chancel has the low side window. The nave is decorated, with good piers and arches, and some good windows : the doors of the aisles have remarkably rich mouldings. The tower is perpendicular, with considerable enrichment, but mutilated. There are two ancient water-drains, and the ancient font is in the tower : it was plain and circular, with a cabled moulding round the upper edge. There are some small portions of ancient wood-work in the church. There is a substantial brick school-house for the free grammar-school, which contained, in 1833, between 60 and 70 boys ; and near the school-house is a range of almshouses.