Brails in 1843
Brails is in the Brails division of Kington hundred, in the southern part of the county, 10 miles from Banbury, on the road to Shipston-upon-Stour. The area of the parish is 5,220 acres: the population, in 1831, was 1,272 ; more than two-thirds agricultural. There is a small manufacture of plush for liveries. Brails had, in 1833, an infant-school with 40 children ; an endowed day-school with 104 boys and 10 girls ; two national Sunday-schools ; and a small day and Sunday school, taught gratuitously by the Roman Catholic priest ; beside private schools. The church is large. and has a lofty tower : some parts are of early English, others of decorated English, others of perpendicular character. In the churchyard there is an ancient tomb with an effigy.