Worthing in 1842
Worthing is a modern and healthy watering-place, locally situate within the parish of Broadwater, in the hundred of Brightford and rape of Bramber, 56 miles from London. The situation is low and flat, only a few feet above the level of the sea, and it is foggy in winter. The sands extend for some distance, and in the summer there is good bathing.
Not many years ago it was an obscure fishing-station, but at the close of the last century, when fashion caused the best points of the southern coast to be resorted to for heath and pleasure, this town sprung up, and in consequence of its proximity to the Downs and the richness of the surrounding country, it has continued to increase. An act for paving and lighting was obtained in 1803, and a chapel-of-ease built in 1812. The streets and squares are well built, and the houses convenient, but not large. The esplanade extends for three-quarters of a mile along the shore.
In the neighbourhood, and particularly on Lancing Down, Roman remains have been found, and at Cissbury is a fortification or earthwork of an irregular oval form, enclosing an area of nearly 60 acres. Indications of its having been used by the ancient Britons have been discovered, and the finding of Roman coins within the rampart proves its occupancy by the Romans. The population of the parish, in 1831, was 4,576.
Tarring near Worthing was the birth-place of John Selden.