Bognor in 1842
Bognor is a retired watering-place in the western part of the county : it is locally situated within the parish of Southbersted, in the hundred of Aldwick and rape of Chichester, 67 miles from London. It owes its origin to Sir Richard Hotham, who in 1784 began to erect houses for visitors, and it has been much frequented of late years. The promenade is extensive, and the houses neat. The Bognor rocks, which are only visible at low-water, extend into the sea in a curved direction for two miles. Within the memory of man they formed a line of low cliffs along the coast. The lowest part of the rocks is a dark grey limestone, in some instances passing into sandstone ; the upper part is silicious. The population in 1831 was 2,190.