Tooting in 1842
Tooting lies south-west from Clapham, and south-east from Wandsworth : it comprehends Upper and Lower Tooting. Upper Tooting is a hamlet of Streatham : Lower Tooting, or Tooting Graveney, is a separate parish, whose area is 680 acres ; the population in 1831 was 2,063. The principal street of Upper Tooting lies along the Horsham and Worthing road : Lower Tooting is partly on, partly to the left of the road. The parish church of Lower Tooting has been rebuilt within the last ten years, and is a handsome building : there is a chapel-of-ease at Upper Tooting, or rather on Balham Hill, close to it; and there are some dissenting places of worship. The living of Lower Tooting is a rectory, of the clear yearly value of £374, with a glebe-house. There are two national schools, an endowed parochial school, and an infant-school.