Streatham in 1842
Streatham lies south from Brixton, on the Brighton road. Its name is supposed to be derived from its situation on the Roman road from London into Sussex. The area of the parish is 2,770 acres : the population in 1831 was 5,068. The principal street extends along the Brighton road, and in it are a number of handsome villas. There is a mineral spring at Streatham, the waters of which are regarded as of some virtue in scorbutic complaints. The church was partly rebuilt about ten or twelve years since : there are Independent and Wesleyan meeting-houses. There are an infant-school and a national school in Streatham parish. The living is a rectory, of the clear yearly value of £1,136, with a glebe-house.