Putney in 1842
Putney adjoins Wandsworth on the west, on the road to Richmond, and lies on the bank of the Thames, across which there is a wooden bridge, erected in the early part of the last century, connecting this village with Fulham in Middlesex. The area of the parish is 2,280 acres; the population in 1831 was 3,811. A bridge of boats was thrown over the river at Putney by Fairfax, in the great civil war, and the army made it their head quarters in 1647. Thomas Cromwell, earl of Essex, and Gibbon the historian, were natives of Putney. The place is of little trade. The church is chiefly of the time of Henry VII, but some parts are older : at the east end of the south aisle is a little chapel, built by West, bishop of Ely, in the time of Henry VIII : this chapel is adorned with rich tracery. There is a dissenting place of worship. At Roehampton, a hamlet of Putney, near Richmond Park, are some handsome villas. The living of Putney is a perpetual curacy, in the peculiar jurisdiction of the archbishop of Canterbury, of the clear yearly value of £362. There are a national and an infant school. Battersea is described elsewhere.