Newington in 1842
Newington adjoins the south side of Southwark, and is bounded by Lambeth parish on the west, and on other sides by the parish of Camberwell. Newington is in great part incorporated with the metropolis : it includes several important thoroughfares, as one side of Newington Causeway and of the Brighton road, and both sides of Great Dover Street, and the great southern and south-eastern outlets of the metropolis. It includes also the village or hamlet of Walworth, on the Camberwell and Norwood road. The streets generally have flagged footpaths, and are lighted with gas. The principal thoroughfares and some other streets have a number of good houses ; but the back streets, for the most part, have houses of an inferior description. The old church is a heavy, ugly building ; but the new churches, Trinity Church, Trinity Square, and St. Peter’s, Walworth, are of better character. There are several dissenting meeting-houses. The county court-house, where the winter sessions are held, and one of the county prisons, are at Newington. The population of Newington parish, in 1831, was 44,526. The living is a rectory, of the clear yearly value of £1,300 a glebe-house : it is in the peculiar jurisdiction of the archbishop of Canterbury. There were in the parish, in 1833, one hundred and seventy day-schools of all kinds and ten Sunday-schools. Among the day-schools were, an infant-school, with 140 children, namely, 87 boys and 53 girls ; a national school, with 515 children, namely, 330 boys and 185 girls ; a Lancasterian school, with 350 boys ; the Walworth Charity-School of Industry, with 100 girls ; and the York Street Charity-School, with 70 girls.