Leatherhead in 1842
Leatherhead is nearly midway between Epsom and Dorking, on the Worthing road. The parish, which is in Copthorne hundred, had, in 1831, a population of 1,724. The village has little trade: some malting, brewing, and tanning is carried on. It had formerly a market, now disused. The church is ancient and cruciform ; the chancel is of decorated character, the north transept perpendicular. There is an Independent chapel.