Kennington in 1842
Kennington adjoins Brixton on the north : it comprehends a tolerably extensive common, on which a handsome new church (St. Mark’s) has been erected, and roads leading from this common in various directions : there are a number of good houses round the common and along the main lines of road : in some of the back streets are also some genteel residences. There was formerly a royal palace at Kennington. There are three proprietary episcopal chapels besides St. Mark’s Church : there are also some dissenting chapels. South of Kennington, on the Clapham road, is Stockwell, where is a chapel-of-ease. Both Kennington and Stockwell are in Lambeth parish. The clear yearly value of the perpetual curacy of St. Mark’s is £700.