Egham in 1842
Egham is near the north-western boundary of the county, on the banks of the Thames, on the high road to Salisbury 21 miles from the General Post-office through Hounslow and Staines. The principal street extends for above a mile on the high road, and contains a number of respectable houses. The parish has an area of 7,440 acres : the population in 1831 was 4,203. There are a parish church, a modern brick building, and a Wesleyan chapel. In the parish, near Virginia Water, above a mile from the town, a new church has been erected. Egham has a good local trade. North of the village, on the bank of the Thames, is Runnymead, where King John signed Magna Charta. The living of Egham is a vicarage, of the clear yearly value of £575, with a glebe-house.