Camberwell in 1842
Camberwell is an extensive parish, extending from the boundaries of Rotherhithe and Bermondsey on the north to Croydon on the south : its area is 4,570 acres : the population, in 1831, was 28,231. The village of Camberwell adjoins Walworth on the south, and consists of four principal thoroughfares meeting in an open green, and leading respectively to London by Walworth, to Deptford by Peckham, to Kennington and to Norwood by Denmark and Herne hills. These thoroughfares are lined with good houses, especially in the direction of Denmark and Herne hills, which are lined by a succession of genteel villa residences pleasantly situated. Camberwell old church, an ancient building, was destroyed by fire not long since, and has not yet been rebuilt. There is a new church, St. George’s, near the Grand Surrey Canal. A chapel on Denmark Hill is in the parish of Lambeth. The living of Camberwell is a vicarage, of the clear yearly value of £1,820, with a glebe-house : the perpetual curacy of St. George’s, in the gift of the vicar, is of the clear yearly value of £500.