Brixton in 1842
Brixton is a hamlet of Lambeth parish, and contains a number of genteel residences on the Brighton road. There is a new church, St. Matthew’s, at the foot of Brixton Hill; an episcopal (formerly dissenting) chapel in North Brixton; and there are several dissenting meeting-houses. On Brixton Hill is a house of correction for the county, and a handsome building for the St. Ann’s Society Schools. There are also some almshouses, built and endowed by the late Thomas Bailey, Esq. The perpetual curacy of St. Matthew’s is of the clear yearly value of £650.