Woolpit in 1842
Woolpit is in the hundred of Thedwestry, 8 miles east by south of Bury, on the road to Stow-Market and Ipswich. The area of the parish is 2,010 acres ; the population in 1831 was 880, less than half agricultural. The church is built partly of flint and chalk ; it is a handsome building, partly of decorated, partly of perpendicular character. There is a large south porch, much enriched, but the spire is mean. The market has long been given up ; but there is a yearly cattle fair, one of the largest in the county, if not in England. A very white brick, of remarkably neat and beautiful appearance, is made near the village.