Mendelsham in 1842
Mendelsham is in Hartismere hundred, about 15 miles north-north-west of Ipswich. The parish has an area of 4,420 acres : the population in 1831 was 1,233, more than two-thirds agricultural. The village consists of mean houses, and the market has long been given up. The church is a handsome building, and there is a Methodist meeting-house. An ancient silver crown of sixty ounces weight was found here near the close of the seventeenth century : it was supposed to have belonged to one of the East Anglian kings.