Ixworth in 1842
Ixworth is in Blackbourn hundred, 7 miles north-east of Bury. The area of the parish is 2,320 acres ; the population in 1831 was 1,061, more than half agricultural. There was anciently a priory for the regular canons of St. Augustin, founded about 1100 ; the yearly revenues of which at the dissolution were £280, 9 shillings and 5 pence (or, according to some authorities, £204, 9 shillings 5 pence and 3 farthings) gross, or £168, 19 shillings 7 pence 3 farthings clear. The village consists of one main street along the road from Bury to Norwich by Scole, and of one or two smaller streets. There are some remains of the priory, near which is the parish church, a small but ancient building. Some Roman remains have been discovered near the village. The market was given up some years since.