Haverhill in 1842
Haverhill is in Risbridge hundred, about 16 miles south-east of Bury ; both village and parish extend into the adjacent hundred of Hinckford, in the county of Essex. The area of the parish is 3,320 acres ; the population in 1831 was 2,025, probably a fourth agricultural. The village consists of one principal street, wide, but lined with poor houses, running from south-east to north-west along the road from Colchester to Cambridge.
The church is a large ancient building, and there are two dissenting places of worship. There was anciently another church, and half a mile north-west of the town was a castle, of which there are no remains. The market has been for some years discontinued, but there are two yearly fairs. In the year 1831, 173 men were employed in the manufacture of drabbets and Tuscan plat.