Aldborough in 1842
Aldeburgh or Aldborough, a market-town in the Plomesgate hundred, Suffolk, 25 miles east-north-east from Ipswich, between the sea and the estuary of the river Alde, with a population in 1831 of 1,627. Aldborough was once a town of considerable importance, but has been reduced by the encroachments of the sea, which has washed away the market-place and a whole street during the last century. The church, which is a well known sea-mark, was in 1559 about ten times further from the sea than at present. Aldborough was disfranchised by the Reform Bill. The town is much inhabited by fishermen, pilots, and other sea-faring people. It has of late years been much resorted to as a bathing-place, and, in consequence, is in a thriving condition. Crabbe the poet was a native of this town.