Tipton in 1841
Tipton is in the southern division of Offlow hundred, about a mile and a half north-north-east of Dudley, in the heart of the iron and coal district. Its importance is quite of modern date, having advanced with those branches of industry to which its situation is adapted. There are numerous coal and iron works, which gave employment, in 1831, to 2,200 men. The goods manufactured are similar to those made at Wednesbury. The population of the parish at that period was 14,951 : the area of the parish is 3,020 acres. Several branches of the Birmingham canal navigations pass through the parish. The old church having become dilapidated, a new church, a neat and commodious brick building, was some time since erected in its place, and the old one allowed to become a ruin ; and within the last three or four years, an additional church has been completed. The Wesleyan Methodists and the Independents have each a chapel. There were in the parish, in 1833, six national schools, three for boys and three for girls, attended by nearly 900 children in the week, and by 200 in addition on Sunday. These schools were partly supported by endowment and subscription. There were several Sunday-schools, in which nearly 2,200 children in addition were taught. Tipton is also called Tibbington.