Notable Villages of Staffordshire in 1841
Harborne is in the southern division of Offlow hundred, about two miles south-west of Birmingham. The church is a modern building, but some of the ancient buttresses and the tower of the older structure remain : the tower is of late perpendicular date. The parish, including the chapelry of Smethwick, has an area of 4,000 acres : the population, in 1831, was 4,227, of whom above 330 men were employed in manufactures.
Amblecoat, in the parish of Old Swinford (the greater part of which parish is in Worcestershire), close to Stourbridge ; Clent, in a detached portion of the county, south of Stourbridge ; Kinfare, west of the same town, Wombourne, and Tettenhall, all near the south-western border of the county, and in the hundred of Seisdon, participate more or less in the iron and hardware manufacture, which gave employment in them, in 1831, to 500 men.
Norton-in-the-Moors, in the neighbourhood of Burslem, participates in the coal-works and earthenware manufactures of the Pottery district. The parish has an area of 3,940 acres : the population, in 1831, was 2,407, of whom 40 were engaged in manufacture, and probably 200 in coal-pits.
At Checkley, or rather at the hamlet of Tean in Checkley parish, two miles and a half south-east of Cheadle, on the road to Uttoxeter, is a considerable tape-manufactory : the population of the parish, in 1831, was 2,247, of whom 106 men were employed in manufacture, and 42 in stone-quarries. Some cotton-spinning is carried on at Yoxall, near Burton-on-Trent.