Darlaston in 1841
Darlaston is in the southern division of Offlow hundred, a mile and a half north-west of Wednesbury. It has coal pits and iron-mines, and manufactures of hardware. There are a parish church, a brick building of the sixteenth century, and Independent and Wesleyan meeting-houses. A branch of the Birmingham canal navigations passes near the village. The parish has an area of 770 acres. The population in 1831 was 6,647, of whom 673 men were employed in manufactures, chiefly or wholly of iron and hardwares, and 357 men in coal-pits and quarries. There are two national schools, which are partly supported by subscription. There is a township of Darlaston in the parish of Stone, which is sometimes confounded with this.