Cannock in 1841
Cannock is in the eastern division of Cuttlestone hundred, about 9 miles south-south-east of Stafford. The parish has an area of 11,970 acres, with a population in 1831 of 3,116 ; about 87 men were employed in coal-mines, and 71 in manufactures chiefly of edge-tools. Cannock is a small place, and the market has been for many years given up. It gives name to the adjacent extensive waste, Cannock Chase, formerly covered with oaks. Besides the parish-church there are places of worship for the Independents and Wesleyan Methodists. There are several schools in the parish : one a day-school with a small endowment : another a large national school, with a school-house a little out of the village on the Penkridge road.